Getting a perfect tan naturally can be tricky and a lot of time-consuming. Also, direct sun exposure is not good for the skin, especially in pregnancy. This does not mean you can not get a perfect summer glow just because you are pregnant. Entering in a tanning booth in this condition is also not agreeable.
Here we will talk about the top 18 safe self tanner for pregnancy that will give you an amazing summer glow. These do not contain harmful chemicals that might damage your skin. Most self-tanners contain DHA or dihydroxyacetone as active ingredients. These ingredients have been approved by the FDA.
Our Top picks for Best Self Tanner for Pregnant Women
#1. Beauty By Earth
The tanner works really well and does not transfer to your clothes after its dry. It takes 30 minutes to dry fully so after applying it wait for 30 minutes before you put on your clothes. This is a safe self tanner for pregnancy, it darkens throughout the day and in 6 hours it achieves its full color.
- This tanner is both for face and body so you do not need to buy separate products.
- The tanner has a mild nice smell.
- And it is made of natural ingredients, so no chemicals!
- The tanner takes 30 minutes to dry which consumes a lot of time.
- For some people, tanner’s smell can be pretty annoying.
#2. Self-Tanning, Naturally Radiant Face Cream by Dior
The product is amazing and it does not have a tanner smell. It is silky and smooth and gives you a natural bronze look. This product is good for any skin type. Before applying the tanner, do not forget to exfoliate also use gloves to use the product.
- The smell is not strong.
- The product is great for oily skin.
- It gives you a naturally radiant look.
- It is a bit expensive. If not applied properly you might leave streaks on your body.
- The product can also cause dryness.
#3. Miami Gorgeous
Miami’s gorgeous self tanner is an organic tanner. It gives your skin a natural looking bronzed look. The product is a safe self tanner for pregnancy it contains natural oils and vitamins that are good for your skin. The product has a very smooth consistency, it spreads evenly on your skin and feels like silk while you apply it. The tanner already has natural oils that hydrate your skin. You do not need to apply moisturizer after applying the tanner.
- It leaves your skin feeling soft and silky. Also, the glow is natural looking, it does not leave your face looking like you have so much makeup on.
- It does not take much time to dry and it stays on the skin for a long time.
- The tanner may react to sensitive skin.
- Take a patch test before applying it all over your face or body.
- The smell is also a bit strong.
#4. Sun Laboratories Sunless Tanning Lotion
This tanner is entirely made from organic ingredients and suits every skin type. But you should still look at the ingredient list to spot any ingredient of which you might be allergic. This tanner gives you a darker tan than other self tanners. But the positive point is that no matter how dark it gets it never gives you an artificial look. But be cautious that you do not have any age spots, otherwise it will make those spots look darker than they are. It is a safe self tanner for pregnancy.
- The tan develops entirely within few hours of application.
- The lotion gives you even tan without orange blotches and streaks. Also, it stays for a week.
- The only con of this product is that its formula has been changed over the past year.
#5. Clarins Smooth, Instant Self-Tanner
The lotion gives you a golden even tan both on face and body it is a safe self tanner for pregnancy. The lotion is non-oily and it gives a smooth streak free tan. Tanner dries quickly and you do not have to wait for a long time before putting clothes back on. If you want to have a dark tan then use it regularly and if you want to have a subtle sun tan look then use it occasionally.
- The product is non-oily and non greasy. Its non greasy formula does not cause breakouts.
- The tan stays for a long time and does not wash away the first time you take a bath or go out swimming.
- The only con is that the smell of the tanner is a bit strong. Some people find it unbearable.
#6. Skinerals Californium
This formula focuses on minerals to restore and protect the skin. The minerals in the product improve cell growth and give it a healthy glow. This product is good for pregnant women. The product can be used on both face and body. Its lightweight feature makes it easier to absorb in any type of skin. It does not cause break out or any other skin problems.
- Formula is very silky and smooth. It spreads on the skin evenly without any streaks and patches.
Some people might find tanner’s smell a bit strong and disagreeable.
#7. Organic Tan Sunless Tanning Treatment
This tanner works amazingly on your body. It gives you natural sun tan look even without going out and actually getting it. It stays for a long time and you can use it again if you feel like the tan is getting lighter. The tanner is made using all organic ingredients which do not harm your skin. It is a safe self tanner for pregnancy.
- It spreads evenly on the skin without any blotches.
- Price is very low compared to other self tanners.
- It can make your skin a little dry.
#8. Thermalabs Organic Self Tanner
The product has a thick consistency that moisturizes your skin while giving it tan. The product does not harm your skin in any way. It will not cause you breakouts or dryness. As the lotion is a little thick it takes a while to dry out. This product is a safe self-tanner for pregnancy.
- The product is less expensive compared to other tanners.
- The smell of the tanner is a bit strong. And some people might not like it at all.
#9. St. Tropez Self-Tanning Spray
This is a very lightweight formula that gives you long-lasting tan. Product is paraben-free, Sulfate-free, and is made of all-natural ingredients. The product fades away evenly without leaving streaks or blotches. It gives you a natural tan look.
Pros: Tanner does its job nicely it does not leave streaks. It dries quickly and it is nongreasy.
Cons: Some people find the fragrance of the product a bit strong.
#10. Transceuticals Self Tanner Lotion
The product works nicely as a tanner should. It gives you a natural tan and glowing skin. The tanner is made of organic ingredients so the chemicals can not harm your skin. The formula repairs your skin and gives it a natural glow. It also moisturizes the skin. This is a good tanner for pregnant women.
- Smell of the product is nice. It does not have a tanner like smell.
- This tanner is buildable. So if you want to have a dark tan then apply more layers.
- The tanner is not tinted so you will not know how your tan looks before few hours.
#11. Golden Star Tanning Oil
The formula is based on vegan. And it contains all organic ingredients. The oil texture allows it to spread evenly on your skin. It does not leave streaks or blotches. It has moisturizing oils in it. Which moisturizes skin while giving you a healthy and glowing tan.
- It is lightweight and dries off quickly.
- It does not stain your clothes and bedding.
- The oil spray is a bit costly.
- The oil takes 24 hours to develop entirely.
- For dark tan, it requires multiple layer applications.
#12. Suntegrity 5 in 1 Natural Self Tanner
This tanner does its job flawlessly. It spreads on the skin evenly without making it look weird and blotchy. The ingredient list contains organic oils, botanical extracts, and vitamin E which are very good for the skin. They moisturize and repair the skin.
- The tanner moisturizes your skin and gives it a soft and smooth glow.
- The smell of the product is also nice.
- The product does not save your skin from harmful UV rays as the tanner does not contain SPF.
#13. My Skin’s Friend Organic Self Tanning Lotion
This is an anti-aging organic tanner. It contains all organic ingredients and it is chemical-free. The tanner after application does not leave any streaks behind and it dries off quickly. After only a few hours it starts developing over the skin. It is a safe self-tanner for pregnancy and it takes 48 hours to fully develop.
- Leave your skin moisturized and natural tan looking.
- It not that costly. Builds up.
- It takes 48 hours to fully develop. It is a long time of period compared to other tanners.
#14. Bahama Tan
The product is made of all-natural ingredients. The formula has been designed to save your skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays. This spreads on the skin evenly and there will be no streaks and orange blotches after the tan has dried off. To get a darker tan to reapply it for several days until you achieve your desired look. It is a safe self-tanner for pregnancy.
- It gives your skin a natural glow.
- It stays up to 7 days.
- For a darker tan, it can be reapplied.
- The only con is that if the tan is not dry entirely it might get on your clothes and bedding.
#14. The Organic Pharmacy Self Tan
This product contains all-natural ingredients and the formula has been made to give your skin a smooth look. The formula is gentle and very mind hence it does not harm sensitive skin which makes it a safe self-tanner for pregnancy. But if you are still concerned then take a patch test or ask your dermatologist whether it will suit you or not. If you desire a deep and dark tan then reapply it as only one layer will not give you a dark tan.
- Smell and the color both is nice of the product.
- Tanner is a bit expensive compared to the other products.
#15. Jergens Natural Glow Instant Sun Sunless Tanner
It comes in two colors deep bronze and light bronze. Choose your desired color and make the purchase accordingly. To avoid streaks apply in small amounts and rub gently on the skin. Use mitts or brush to apply tanner evenly. Mitts are better if you are planning to put a tanner on your entire body. It is a safe self-tanner for pregnancy and it gives nice tan with a glow.
- Absorbs quickly in the skin and has a nice fragrance.
- It lasts for a long time.
- It leaves a very nice bronze color.
- Some people may find the color of the foam a bit strange.
#16. Xen-Tan Ultra Luxe Sunless Tanning Lotion
The product gives you a natural-looking tan. it does not leave streaks and patches on your body. If you want to have a more tanned skin then reapply the product. Be careful while applying to you you are very fair as it can change your color dramatically. This tanner is great for people who have medium to fair skin tones.
- The product has a nice fragrance.
- It does not transfer to clothes and bedding after it has dried off entirely.
- Without mitts, it might leave streaks on your body.
#17. True Natural Organic Self Tanner
Tanner might take a little time to get dry as it is thick. But the product blends in after a few minutes. The tanner can be applied with both hands and mitts but be sure to wash hands if you want to avoid orange palms. It can take up to one hour to get fully dry. The product stays for 3-4 days and fades away evenly. It is a safe self-tanner for pregnancy.
- Tanner is easy to apply and the fragrance is very pleasing.
- After some time nice fragrance fades away.
- The texture of the product id thick and creamy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Pills work for tanning?
No pills do not work for tanning.
How Does Sunless Tanning Work?
The sunless tanners contain dihydroxyacetone which reacts with the amino acids of the top layer of our skin. This layer consists of the dead cells.
Is Sunless Tanning Safe During Pregnancy?
Expecting mothers are sometime concerned about whether the sunless tanning is safe for their pregnancy or not. In fact, there have been quite some debate on this issue. The concern in this regard is whether the active ingredient DHA penetrates below skin or not. Most indications points that it does not. However, some doctors advise their patients to not to use sunless tanning in the first trimester for extra safety. So, the best way in this regard is to consult your doctor beforehand.
Does Swimming in Water Fades My Tanning?
There are some concerns in users whether their tanning is affected if they swim in chlorinated water. The observations point that swimming in water chlorinated or not affects the tanning to some extent.
Should I Shave Before Applying My Tanning Cream?
Yes, for the cream to have the full effect on the skin uniformly and properly it is advised that you should shave your legs. Also, keep in mind that you need to shave before applying the product. Otherwise you will end up removing the suntanning product itself.
Will the Product Soil My Clothes?
Your clothes may absorb some fragrance from the product. But in most cases, it should wash off very easily.
Does These Tanners Do Something Strange to My Lips and Nipples?
These parts of body remain nearly unaffected by the products containing DHA. However, if you feel unsure use a q-tip to clear the product from the body parts.
Above was the list of the best safe self-tanner for pregnancy from which you can choose the best-suited self-tanners. They are all organic and give you a natural tan look. If you are still concerned about the baby then ask your dermatologist if certain tanner is good for you or not. All these products are easily available on Amazon and some of them are still on discount. If you hurry up you will probably get them in best deals. Self-tanners are way better than getting tanned under the sun. They protect you from harmful UV rays.